Who is SoggyDayGardener?

Monday, December 9, 2013

Great British Garden Revival

What better way to spend a winter's evening than with feet up watching a garden programme on the television (well yes, there are other ways of spending a pleasant hour or so, but for the purposes of this blog, let's stick to gardening and leave aside all thoughts of chocolate cake ...)

I have just watched "Wild Flowers and Front Gardens" - the first of 10 episodes in the series. Normally, as my friends and family will tell you, I only really notice vegetables, however, the one thing no organic gardener can ignore is the inter-connectedness of the natural world, and this programme was a useful reminder to the likes of me. Not that I have paved over my front garden - I haven't got one - rows of cottages often don't - but I will admit to not thinking enough about the plants I could be growing to improve the habitat for wildlife in the garden and hence the diversity of species that may thrive there; no organic grower wishes to preside over a desert of uniformity.

Anyway, don't take my word for it - let the presenters inspire you. In the UK you can probably catch up on BBC iPlayer - not sure about abroad - I'm sure you have your ways!

Wild Flowers and Front Gardens

Meadow photograph
Meadow in May

No comments: