Who is SoggyDayGardener?

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Two Potato Plants

Yesterday I wanted some potatoes to roast (Greek style) to enjoy with green beans cooked with tomatoes. So I went to one of the Toluca rows - they really are the most potatoey-tasting potatoes - and dug up 4 monsters, which I have kept for today's dinner. So, I went to a row of Harlequin, and dug, and dug, and just kept digging and they just kept coming, what a haul from one plant. The picture tells it all, a few giant Toluca, and the rest of the basket all Harlequin, one plant of each dug up.

Harlequin and Toluca potatoes
See how the Toluca have that creasing/indentation, they always seem to do that with mine.

2 comments:

Annie*s Granny said...

Many of my Dark Red Norland potatoes had that creasing this year. I'd never had them do that before. I wonder what causes it.

Anonymous said...

I really don't know. Here we had a a cold spring, then some rain, then a hot spell, then rain, so I wonder if it's something to do with water - the frequency and amount?