Who is SoggyDayGardener?

Thursday, June 16, 2011

New Potatoes and more



I had already previously harvested a couple of potatoes, just by digging my hand under a plant. Today it was the turn of the fork, and up came two plants of Charlotte, some of which made a delicious potato salad for lunch.

Mrs Soggy, meanwhile, gathered some peas, beans, courgettes and strawberries, the cucumber (mentioned below) had been brought in earlier.

As you can see, everything is wet, as were we, it decided to pour down before we finished, mind you, I did still get 2 courgette plants out of their pots and into the bed-space the potatoes had relinquished.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Accidentalultrarunner said...

Your potatoes are lovely! I am anxiously awaiting my first crop of potatoes.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with them, what variety are they?

Accidentalultrarunner said...

We are attempting red new potatoes and french fingerlings. Potato growing in smart pots to make it easier. I know there are french fingerlings down there, but I wil give it some more time to boost the numbers before digging around. We do not have many plants, so will wait for more family to visit before digging them up.

Anonymous said...

French Fingerlings are not something I have seen grown here. I imagine your growing conditions are very different, with lower humidity and less risk of potato blight there?
The variety in my photograph is a classic early salad potato, with waxy flesh and a delicious flavour.

Accidentalultrarunner said...

Oh yes, we are dry, dry, dry here in Southern California. Sandwiched between the desert and Pacific Ocean.